What I learned from my Panettone failure / Panettone mappazzone, cosa ho imparato da una grande dilusione


This year I decided to face my biggest fear in the world of leavened products: Panettone or even said, quite rightly, the “King of leavened”. The result, thinking ot the huge emotional stress and sleep deprivation involved, was extremely disappointing. The Panettone collapsed, its top dark and hard. The dough way too dense, damp and decidedly acid. Had it been bad but tasty it would have been a less bitter disappointment, but nothing more is left than learning from my mistakes. Here’s a little summary of what has happened and what I learned from this experience, especially with the help of some friends.

My Panettone adventure began at 2:15 of Saturday morning when the alarm clock set off after a 2 hours and a half nap I took not to get too exhausted and to avoid mistakes at the very beginning while preparing the first dough. All the ingredients were weighed on Friday morning to leave no room for error … knowing myself quite well. The levain under the advice of Emanuela and Stefano, two Facebook friends, had been refreshed daily since 3 days before the making of the first dough. Only after my failure I realized that my doubt at the second refreshment “maybe it should be refresh with strong flour” was more than legitimate. In fact, the always attentive and helpful Raffaele Pignataro after seeing my ashtray (as they call these failed and collapsed Panettoni) asked me immediately what kind of yeast and refreshments I did the days before embarking in my “King of leavened dough” adventure. But let’s proceed with order, at the end of the post all the important points and informations learned from this experience will be listed, with all proper reference to my “panettonari friends”.

As previously said, the alarm clock rang at 2.15 and I proceeded mixing the first dough. As advised by all blog consulted before the adventure began, bowl, K beater and hook were put in the refrigerator for several hours to prevent possible overheating of the dough. I combined the levain with half the egg yolks and mixed, using the K beater. When thoroughly blended I added the other half egg yolks, the sugar that had been dissolved in water and again mixed all evenly. With the K beater I made sure the flour was all absorbed, with no lumps, and placed the hook as soon as it began to amalgamate. All at a very low speed, then increasing speed to medium and working until the dough was ready, which I made sure by making the window pane test. I can not tell you exactly how many times, but being very paranoid the bowl, dough and hook were put in the fridge several times every time the mixture reached 23°C, to prevent overheating of the dough during processing. When the dough was strung I added the butter (which was left a couple of hours at room temperature to reach a creamy consistency) and knead it with up until it didn’t stick anymore to the bowl (same as before, checking dough temperature and resting the bowl up to 10′ -15′ in the fridge every time it went over 23° C-24° C). When the mixture was ready I placed in a bowl in the oven with the light on from 4.30 until 16.30 until tripled in volume. This was one of the biggest mistakes I could do, along with the refreshments one. Only on Saturday morning I noticed my oven has not one, but two lights (I know I’m not a great observer) which look difficult to remove/unscrew, and this thing generates a lot of heat in the oven reaching above 40° C. I have done everything to be careful, following Stefano‘s advice of leaving the door open and the dough as far as possible from all sources of heat. Also not using a transparent container and forgetting to put aside a little piece of the mixture (as suggested by Eva of Fables de Sucre to check exactly the triplication of volume of the dough), I have found it difficult to properly evaluate the proofing of the dough. In short, a disaster, with the first dough which had clearly passed it’s rising time. But you know, being very stubborn I went on with the second dough, combining the over-risen blob with the flour until it didn’t stick to the bowl anymore. Then sugar and egg yolks little by little until the dough was firm and not sticky, and finally butter and salt, reaching a perfect dough at 17.25. In my heart a little glimmer of hope was shining. The dough so compact, sleek, beautiful gave me the illusion of a successfull Panettone. How delusional! Last addition was of candied fruit, raisins and orange zest and lemon which had been lightly floured, as Raffaele suggests to avoid them sticking together in lumps. All mixed in at a very low speed, turning twice the dough on itself. After one hour rest on the working surface, at 18.30 I did the first shaping of the dough, with my hands well buttered. The dough was beautiful and compact, and the shaping went down very well. An hour later, after resting uncovered, I did the second shaping. The result was a firm and smooth surface. At this point it was hard to contain my excitement and my mind wandered to fantasies of my first baked Panettone. Having a dinner already planned my worries about the dough well being were many. No question of leaving it to rest in the oven with the light on! I put the ball in the paper cup, on a baking tray, and covered it with clingfilm and wrapped with a good old wool sweater. Take care dear dough, will be back soon, not later than 1 a.m.! And so it was. The dough was waiting, almost tripled but quiet. Unable to sleep even an hour, taking occasional 15′ – 30′ naps I closely checked my Panettone. The dough was tripled but a disturbing bubble peeped from the top started making me worried, time to bake! Just a little 10′ rest uncovered to make a thin skin, slashes and a little (later I found out a little too much, as Eva pointed out) butter on top and off in the oven with steam (another mistake! Eva does not recommend using the steam it produces a hard crust like bread). At half baking time the water pot on the bottom of the oven was taken out. My Panettone did not have a great development but the top hadn’t collapsed yet. After 50′ sure of it being thoroughly baked I plunged the thermometer needle in the center, but to my shock and horror discovered that the temperature did not exceed 84° C (Panettone is ready when it’s inner temperature reaches 94°C)!! After this event my Panettone dramatically collapsed. It took another 15′ – 20′ of baking, exhausted, I stuck the knitting needles in the dough and put it upside down and…no…did not go to bed. I complained about my defeat on Facebook and this led to several discussions and suggestions (I love solidarity between serial bakers in internet!). In short, I got a lot of information that will be shared here too. Let’s start.

Raffaele was the first expert who ran at the bedside of my Panettone, here is his examination:

  1. At first he theorized three things: either the yeast was too weak, the mixture being worked excessively or the flour was low quality. Except the last, having used the Maroggia’s Mill best Panettone flour which is used by the top bakeries in Ticino, and the second point (as already said my paranoia led me to be very slow and careful with the processinf of the dough) it was clear that the problem lay in the levain. Probably over-risen from the start it triggered the problem of the first dough over-proofing. Going past the optimal rising point has weakened the levain, which has lost the power to rise the second dough.
  2. He recommends to use a 45% hydration sourdough and refresh it the with the same flour that will be used for the Panettone, for 1 week every day, leaving it at room temperature, and then on the first morning before starting with the recipe it’s advisable to make water and sugar bath prior the three consecutive and final refreshments.
  3. From his experience the use of levain gives a different texture to the Panettone, with a more closed and compact dough. With the levain he suggests refreshing this way for the first week: 100 gr levain, 50 gr flour, 50 gr of water and on the day you start with the recipe just refresh with the usual quantities, and mixing it with the other ingredients only when it has reached the maximum charge of fermentation that is, when you have a strong growth after refreshments and it begins to slightly collapse in the center.

Eva called me privately in Facebook’s chat and first gave her advice, then introduced me to the Facebook group she set with Claudio (her blog partner) to share experience and tips on Panettone baking. Here’s what she said, taking a look at my Panettone’s photos and reading my reports:

  1. Too much butter on the slashes.
  2. The steam!? Panettone is baked without steam. Static oven. Otherwise the crust turns out hard, like bread. Eva, telegraphic but accurate woman!

Stefano Pibi gave me other additional tips:

  1. In general, for Panettone, refreshments are made 4-5 days with the AP flour and the day of the first mixture with strong flour. But, in any case, taste and smell are of help. If you feel the sourdough is acid refresh it with twice the flour (I have to keep this is mind, rushing into things is never good and it’s one of my biggest faults). Even Stefano refreshes his sourdough like this: once a day for 4-5 days, on the last day 3 times, one every 3-4 hours.

Barbara makes me notice a few things:

  1. Panettone is traditionally made with 45% hydration sourdough. Levain can give problems as having less flour to eat (ie a faster metabolism) you are likely to get an accelerated rising of the dough, exceeding the rise will trigger two of the issues that occurred wit your Panettone: the collapse of the dough and acidity. In short, the times are more difficult to manage and Barbara advises to transform the levain in the a solid sourdough. She suggested me to do like this: take 50 gr levain and combine it with 50 gr of water and 100 gr of flour. Continue doing so for a while. This year for her pannettonbrioche she has created a “young” levain at 125% hydration mixing 1 part of yeast, 6 parts of water and 5 parts flour. This one is liquid yeast that goes slow (but safe) and is much less acid.

This is what I learned from my first Panettone…will be my second any better? Looking forward to the weekend for another sleep depriving experience and maybe with some luck an edible product!


Panettone mappazzone, cosa ho imparato da una grande dilusione

Quest’anno ho deciso di affrontare la mia più grande paura nel mondo dei lievitati: il Panettone o anche detto, giustamente, il “Re dei lievitati”. Il risultato, a fronte di un grande stress emotivo e una privazione di sonno non indifferente è stato a dir poco deludente. Un panettone collassato, con la cupola scura e duretta. L’impasto troppo denso, umido e decisamente acido. Fosse stato brutto ma buono la delusione sarebbe stata meno cocente…ma tant’é. Ecco un piccolo riassunto di quello che è successo e quello che ho imparato da questa esperienza, soprattutto con l’aiuto di alcuni amici.

La mia avventura inizia sabato mattina alle 2.15 quando mi sveglio dopo una dormita di 2 ore e mezza, giusto per non arrivare troppo stremata al primo impasto e fare errori da principio. Per inciso gli ingredienti erano tutti stati preparati con calma venerdì mattina per non lasciare spazio agli errori…conoscendomi molto bene. Il licoli, sotto consiglio di Emanuela e Stefano, due amici di Facebook, avevo iniziato a rinfrescarlo 3 giorni prima. Solo dopo il mio fallimento avrei capito che il mio lecito dubbio al secondo rinfresco “ma forse lo devo già rinfrescare con la farina di forza” era più che lecito. Infatti il carissimo, sempre attento e disponibile Raffaele Pignataro visto il mio posacenere (come chiamano questi panettoni falliti e collassati) mi ha subito chiesto che tipo di lievito e rinfresco ho eseguito nei giorni precedenti per il mio impasto del Re dei lievitati. Ma procediamo con ordine, visto che alla fine del post ri-elencherò tutti i punti importanti e informazioni apprese con questa esperienza dai miei amici panettonari.

Dicevo, sveglia alle 2.15 procedo al primo impasto. Come consigliato da tutti i miei ingredienti, la planetaria, la foglia ed il gancio sono stati messi parecchie ore prima in frigorifero per permettere una lavorazione a bassa temperatura per evitare il più possibile il surriscaldamento dell’impasto. Unisco il lievito in coltura liquida a metà dei tuorli e faccio amalgamare, usando la foglia. Aggiungo il resto dei tuorli, l’acqua nella quale ho sciolto lo zucchero e di nuovo mischio ben bene. Verso la farina e sostituisco la foglia con il gancio appena inizia ad amalgamarsi. Il tutto a velocità molto bassa, Poi aumento a velocità media e faccio lavorare finché l’impasto si incorda. Non saprei dirvi esattamente quante volte, ma essendo paranoica ho visto di mettere planetaria e gancio nel frigo ogni volta che l’impasto raggiungeva i 23 gradi, per evitare che dalla stanchezza esagerassi i tempi di lavorazione e surriscaldassi l’impasto. Quando l’impasto si è incordato ho aggiunto il burro (lasciato qualche ora a temperatura ambiente e di consistenza pomatosa) e fatto impastare con il gancio fino a incordatura (stesso discorso di prima, con diversi stazionamenti di 10’-15’ in frigorifero). L’impasto perfettamente incordato è stato riposto in una ciotola messa in forno con la luce accesa dalle 4.30 fino alle 16.30, finché è triplicato. E qua penso il grande errore, assieme a quello dei rinfreschi. Ho scoperto solo ora (lo so non sono una grande osservatrice) che il mio forno possiede ben due lucette, che mi risultano pure difficili da togliere/svitare, e questa cosa genera un grande calore nel forno arrivando pure a superare i 40°C. Ho fatto di tutto per stare attenta, seguendo i consigli di Stefano, lasciando lo sportello aperto e l’impasto il più lontano possibile dalle fonti di calore. Inoltre non usando un contenitore trasparente e scordandomi l’impasto spia (come suggerito da Eva dei Fables de Sucre) mi è risultato difficile valutare bene la triplicazione dell’impasto. Insomma, un disastro, con il primo impasto che aveva palesemente superato i tempi di lievitazione. Ma si sa, sono una donna di coccio e ho proseguito con il secondo impasto, unendo al blob sovralievitato la farina, fino a incordatura. Zucchero e tuorli poco a poco fino a incordatura, e infine il burro e il sale raggiungendo una incordatura perfetta per le ore 17.25. Nel mio cuore si faceva largo un barlume di speranza. Quell’impasto così compatto, lucido, bellissimo, mi ha dato l’illusione di una prima panettonata felice. Povera illusa. Poi l’aggiunta dei canditi, l’uvetta e la scorza di arancia e limone già pronti e infarinati, come da consiglio di Raffaele, tutto a velocità bassa con due giri dell’impasto per amalgamare. Dopo un’ora di riposo all’arai alle 18.30 h proceduto con la prima pirlatura di un impasto bellissimo e sodo, puntatura all’aria e seconda pirlatura un’ora dopo. La massa è soda, la superficie liscia e tirata. Sono emozionata e anelo alla cottura. Avendo una cena ero molto preoccupata della sorte dell’impasto. Fuori discussione il forno con la lucina! Ho riposto la palla nel suo pirottino su una teglia, coperto con pellicola e avvolto con un buon vecchio maglione di lana. Take care caro impasto, torno presto, per l’una sono a casa! E così fu. L’impasto era lì ad aspettarmi, quasi triplicato ma quieto. Non riuscendo a dormire nemmeno un’ora ho vegliato alla sua lievitazione, facendo occasionali pisoli di 15’-30’ massimo e navigando su internet. L’impasto triplicato ma con una preoccupante bollicina che faceva capolino dalla cupola mi hanno messa sull’attenti…che fosse ora di infornare? 10’ d’aria per fare crosta, scarpatura e un poco (poi ho scoperto un poco troppo) burro sopra e via nel forno preriscaldato con il vapore (altro errore! Eva sconsiglia di usare il vapore perché produce una crosta dura come il pane). Tutto ciò alle ore 5.40…metà cottura tolgo il vapore. Il panettone non ha avuto un grande sviluppo ma la cupola regge. Dopo 50’ netti illudendomi sia cotto immergo l’ago del termometro…che non supera gli 84°C!!!! L’unico risultato è stato che dopo la prima prova di temperatura il panettone è drammaticamente collassato. Nulla, ci son voluti altri 15’-20’ per portare a fine cottura, stremata ho infilzato l’impasto messo a testa in giù e…no…non sono andata a letto. Mi sono lamentata della mia sconfitta su Facebook e da lì son partite diverse discussioni e suggerimenti (quanto mi piace la solidarietà dei panificatori seriali!). Insomma un sacco di informazioni che qua condividerò. Partiamo.

Raffaele è il primo esperto che corre al capezzale del mio panettone, ecco la sua disamina:

  1.  Teorizza un lievito troppo debole, un impasto lavorato eccessivamente o una farina non di qualità. Esclusa l’ultima, avendo utilizzato la Farina Oro del Mulino di Maroggia in uso anche presso ottime panetterie ticinesi, e la seconda (son stata paranoica già l’ho detto) si insinua il dubbio che il problema sia nel lievito. Subito ammetto il problema di lievitazione superata del primo impasto. Superando la lievitazione si è indebolito il lievito che ha perso il potere di lievitare il secondo impasto.
  2. Mi consiglia di rinfrescare il lievito madre con la stessa farina che uso per il panettone per 1 settimana ogni giorno, lasciandolo a t.a., e poi la mattina prima di fare il panettone consiglia di fare un bagnetto e tre rinfreschi consecutivi.
  3. Per sua esperienza l’uso del licoli da’ una struttura diversa al panettone, con una alveolatura più chiusa e compatta. Con il licoli il processo è comunque di rinfrescare una settimana con la stessa farina facendo pseudo rinfreschi (100g di licoli, 50g di farina, 50g di acqua) e poi il giorno del panettone si fa un rinfresco con dose “normale” e lo si usa solo a massima carica fermentativa ossia quando si “ferma” nella crescita dopo il rinfresco e inizia a cedere al centro.

Eva mi ha chiamata in privato e dato i suoi consigli, introducendomi al gruppo Facebook di Panettonari del blog suo e di Claudio, dove ci si può trovare per scambiare consigli, fallimenti e successi. Ecco cosa mi ha detto, guardando dalle mie foto e leggendo i miei resoconti:

  1. Troppo burro in prossimità della scarpatura.
  2. Il vapore!? Il panettone si cuoce senza vapore. Forno statico. Altrimenti fa la crosta come il pane. Eva è una donna telegrafica ma puntuale!

Stefano Pibi mi da’ altri consigli supplementari:

  1. In genere per il panettone, rinfresco 4-5 giorni con la 00 e il giorno del primo impasto con quella di forza. Però, in ogni caso, assaggio e odoro, se lo sento acido rinfresco anche con il doppio della farina (ecco, la fretta cattiva consigliera…mi devo ricordare di fare altrettanto). Anche Stefano i rinfreschi li fa così: uno al giorno per 4-5 giorni, l’ultimo giorno 3, uno ogni 3-4 ore.

Barbara mi fa notare delle cose:

  1. Il panettone tradizionalmente viene fatto con la pasta madre solida, il lievito in coltura liquida può dare problemi in quanto avendo meno farina da mangiare (ovvero un metabolismo più veloce) si rischia di avere una lievitazione accelerata, superando la lievitazione e innescare due delle situazioni problematiche che mi son capitate: collasso dell’impasto e acidità. Insomma i tempi sono più difficili da gestire e Barbara consiglia di trasformare parte del lievito in coltura liquida in solida. Consiglia di fare così: prendere 50 gr di licoli e combinare con 50 g di acqua e 100 di farina. Continuare cosi’ per un po’ di rinfreschi. Quest’anno per il suo pannettonbrioche ha creato un lievito liquido “giovane” al 125% facendo l’ultimo rinfresco con una parte di lievito, 6 parti di acqua, e 5 parti di farina. Un lievito liquido che va lento (ma sicuro) ed e’ molto meno acido.

Questo è ciò che ho imparato dal mio primo panettone…sarà il mio secondo tentativo un poco meglio? Beh, non vedo l’ora di replicare l’esperienza, sperando che la privazione di sonno venga controbilanciata da un prodotto commestibile e migliore del primo!

One thought on “What I learned from my Panettone failure / Panettone mappazzone, cosa ho imparato da una grande dilusione

  1. Pingback: An Easter treat: Colomba / È quasi Pasqua! Colomba Giorilli dei Fables de Sucre | rise of the sourdough preacher

I commenti sono chiusi.